Sad that so many photographers are walking around with such big chips on their shoulders. A bit of spit in the eye....


 I woke up yesterday morning to the confirmed announcement that Leica was introducing a new camera into their product mix. It's exactly the "Q" camera I always wanted. Even before I knew I wanted one. I bought a Q2 back when it first came out and I've always enjoyed using it. The files from that camera are amazingly sharp, detailed and color rich. But for me the 28mm lens always made that camera an adjunct to my regular cameras instead of a replacement. Yesterday morning Leica changed all of that...

They announced a Q3 camera with a different lens. The camera body is the same as the (IP52 weather sealed) 28mm Q3, the difference is in the lens on the front. They finally nailed it with just the right focal length. And as a bonus (I guess for those of us who have waited for so long) they made the lens an APO version. The camera is now available as the "Q3-43" with the 43 indicating the focal length of the lens. The long version of the lens name is: the APO 43mm Summicron Aspherical f2.0. 

In my mind it's destined to be the ultimate street shooting camera and the penultimate "go anywhere" camera for discerning photographers. It's got everything. Including PD-AF, Image Stab., 60 megapixel sensor that can also give you full frame glory at lower resolutions (less post processing clogging). 

Thom Hogan should be freaking thrilled since the Leicas (all current models) now have the best integration to/with the iPhone you can get. Much better than the Japanese camera models.... And that seems to be the thing he predicts will make or break stand alone cameras... We don't share that opinion...

There were some good reviews on the launch day. DP Review has a glowing review and gives the camera its Gold Award, at 89 points, and further says that it's a camera with no real competition in its particular niche. 

So why am I sad? Because the mindless hordes have decided that a hand made, perfect, limited production, best in class, best materials, best menus and empowered, potent usability camera model should compete price-wise with much less satisfying cameras. Because? Spec sheets. Because...misplaced frugality...

MJ has made his usual slash at Leica because of the price. Instructive to read in Forbes that 24.4 MILLION people in the United States alone have a net worth of over $ 1,000,000. If a small fraction of these people want to buy a Q3; and they can easily afford one, they'll have to wait for it since the camera sold out the current inventory on day one. Somebody out there knows there is a difference between price and value. And value isn't measured just by specs but also by subjective measures like an appreciation for beautiful design and execution, great handling, intuitive operation, and the fact that, just like subsidized gasoline versus non-subsidized gasoline disruptions in economies, Leicas are made by well paid and well taken care of crafts people, not people living desperately on the margins in various second and third world countries. 

The Q3 - 43 is a camera nobody else is making. Not even close. And since it's largely made by hand of high end materials it's limited in its availability. It's hard, if not impossible, to scale up real craftsmanship on demand. 

I'm so tired of hearing about Red Dot Jealousy that I'm thinking of canceling my contract with my ISP and just giving up on the web. 

I get that not everyone has the budget to buy the cameras they really, really want. That's where the endless negative rationalizations and subsequent trashing of luxe brands comes into play. But really, not everyone can afford a new Porsche, or good dental care, or a vacation in Monaco. That doesn't make a product worthless, bad, "Veblen" or some other nonsense. All expenses are relative. I expect that people who make minimum wage or live solely on Social Security are also not in the market for houses that cost more than a million dollars, or rides on a Space X rocket. But they rarely sit around disparaging other consumer products because of price.

I've heard the tired and boring screed that the only people who own Leicas are dentists, lawyers, doctors and CEOs. Nothing could be further from the truth. Legions of young photographers have snapped up M series film Leicas to do their work. Why? Sure, some are influenced by influencers but the rest (the majority?) are drawn to the tradition and the ease of shooting with these cameras and manual lenses. Many working photographers have Leica cameras in addition to their "work" cameras. And why not? They are fun to shoot with. 

In a country where people think nothing about going into debt for years and years to afford a $100K pick-up truck, the capabilities of which they certainly don't need and will never use, is it so outrageous to spend just shy of $7K for a camera that will bring them joy every day of their lives for years to come? I think not. 

But this outpouring of spite from people who should know better is depressing. Red Dot Fever is virulent and found mostly in people who just can't understand why something demonstrably more fun is popular amongst the millions and millions and millions of people across the world who CAN afford to buy one without giving it a second thought.

Bravo to Leica. Shame on the mindless naysayers. 

Comments

  1. So did you get to Leica Store Miami in time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bitter anti-Leica comments across the web are growing increasingly incoherent - or sound like the parroting of other comments. I don’t see much difference between buying a Q3 and picking up a new Nikon Z8 and a few lenses. I have yet to hear similar comments about Nikon - nor should there be.

    I have a few Leicas - nearly all of which were purchased used at steep discount. The one exception is my Q2, which I bought new and I’m perfectly happy with. I’d actually like a Q3 43 (not so much the regular Q3) but I missed the first pre-orders. So it’ll now likely be years before the opportunity to buy one presents itself again. But that gives me time to sell off some other items to raise cash and save some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, Thom seemed really impressed with his recent Leica experience and intended to look at Q3: https://bythom.com/newsviews/initial-and-long-term-impre.html.

    On the other hand, my impression of MJ's many recent posts at TOP kept bringing to mind the Stones song, with slightly varied lyrics: hey (hey) you (you) get off of my lawn. I don't know - I keep looking at TOP out of habit, thinking it'll return to being an enjoyable blog, but keep getting disappointed.

    You and Thom are pretty much the only two photo bloggers left whose writing I still find enjoyable and thought-provoking. As for the Leica that is the subject of this post, I have never owned a Leica, not because it doesn't pique my interest, but because I don't really shoot street photography anymore (mostly birds, wildlife, and landscapes these days). But it definitely seems to be a well-designed camera and if I were to go back to doing street / travel photography, the new Q3 lens seems just the right focal length. Till then, I'll vicariously enjoy your blogs on them.

    Sorry this comment ran a bit long...
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the commenter who strongly suggested that I just be nice to everyone.... find yourself a different blog. I've fully refunded your membership fee. Start your own blog if you want everything to be Pollyanna and Unicorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo, Kirk. Right in character. You do you. I’m sure this will be deleted.

      Delete
    2. You are correct. I'm tired of people talking trash and then, when I call them on it the snowflake patrols comes out to whine and cringe. Not on this blog.

      Delete
    3. I have neither red dot jealousy nor red dot fever, and I could afford one or even several but I won't buy them because I have tried Leicas and I don't like them. I suspect that's because I grew up in a news environment and not in an art or professional-photogaphy environment, where reasonable focus and exposure was acceptable, but missing a shot was death. That meant Canons and Nikons and autofocus and even "auto" settings on the cameras, especially when things were raucous or otherwise difficult. At one point in time, the late 30s through the early 60s, Leicas were just as newsy as any other camera, and a lot better than Speed Graphics when it came to getting the shot. Then they became precious, and the other cameras, IMHO, became "better" for some quality of better, meaning in the news world. I have no problem with any kind of craftsman buying the tools he/she thinks is useful, and that includes photographers. I'm a writer and I have a Mac Studio and a Studio screen, when I could get along well enough with a $500 PC laptop. But I don't because I like my tools just so. That also applies to all varieties of photographers, and I suspect most of those don't really give a rat's ass about Leicas. But here's the annoying thing about Leicas: a lot of photographers want them, and could afford them, but won't get them, because of "collectors" who may never taken out of their boxes. They will never get the use that they were made for, and I gotta think, after some experience with the company, that that's just fine with Leica. I'm not saying that they're a camera company built for collectors or dilettantes, but if it weren't for collectors and dilettantes, I'm not sure the company would be around anymore.

      Delete
  5. Hm, Kirk, there is the possibility that more than a few of those naysayers just enjoy riling up Leica people. Leica is not going anywhere and they all know it. And from my experience, it's not difficult getting you all huffing and puffing. To be honest, it is a little funny. I mean, it is just a camera. :-P

    Omer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything you wrote might be correct. Have you ever considered that it might be fun and amusing to get riled up by stuff and to push back? Besides, anyone dumb enough to fall for the Leica propaganda is probably too dumb to keep writing a blog....

      Delete
  6. This is a test post to see if I can navigate the mess Google has made of the facility for commenting on Blogger entries. I was going to offer a substantive comment, but I have no way to know whether it would make it through Google's obstacle course unscathed after I had invested the time and effort to try to say something meaningful. Let's hope they fix this soon, Kirk.

    OK, here are two quick thoughts that are more-or-less on point: Google would do well to emulate Leica's emphasis on simplicity and ease of operation. That, to my mind, is the most attractive feature of the Leica Q models.

    And don't knock Veblen goods. If it wasn't for aspirational buyers in Asia, the Mercedes and BMW markets would tank in a Frankfurt minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I had the Google comment thing figured out but I don't. Oh well.
    If you check out the MPB used camera site, you can see that "premium" fixed lens digital compacts are holding their value well, better than D-SLRs I think. The entire Fuji X100 family is doing very well, as are the Sony full-frame RX1 models and Ricoh GR models. Is this the same pattern that happened in film days? That is, once people owned the SLR bodies and lenses they needed/wanted, they developed a jonesing for smaller compact cameras but wanted good lenses: Nikon 28Ti and 35Ti, Contax T, Minolta TC-1, etc. I can understand this, you don't always want to carry around a big heavy system. Ricoh has done something similar in digital, Fuji is sticking to wide angle so far but they ought to bring out a "normal" sister model. Leica's move makes sense to me. So what if they operate at the top end, somebody has to and Contax is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those 24MM people with a net worth north of $1MM, but it took us a long time to get there, and we definitely wondered a few times where the needed money would come from when raising our family. I only say that to note I could technically afford the Q3-43 and REALLY want one, but I will have to slowly convince the household CFO. She was raised by Dutch immigrants who would never spend an unnecessary dime, and the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. :)

    I've owned a Q2M (bought used) and loved everything about it but the 28mm lens. I also rented a Q3 for a week and felt the same. I said if Leica ever put a 40mm lens on one, my wife had better hide the credit card. Now look what they've gone and done!

    I agree about the quality of most Leica products, and I love the current menu system. My old M2 and M3 are pure works of art and such a joy to use. Pricy... yes, but sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy, and I won't judge anyone for spending $7K as long as they're keeping food on the table and the kids housed and clothed.

    We can be frugal in other ways. Both of our cars are mid-level Mazdas that cost around $35K new, so at least I'm not asking the CFO for a Porsche. :)

    Doug

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.