OMG, HOLY-MOLY, Gee Whiz! That's some amazing optical performance from a thirty year old medium format lens!!!


I had no idea where I would end up when I bought a Fuji GFX 50Sii, a 35-70mm GFX lens and a 50mm GFX lens from a friend. I thought at first that I'd just muddle along with those two lenses for the time being and concentrate on fleshing out my L mount lenses for the full frame format instead. Over time I bought a couple of cheap Mitakon and TTArtisan lenses but quickly soured on having to fix the nearly impenetrable vignetting (and softness) of the corners of the budget lenses. I put everything on the back burner until I came across a bunch of images I did of an Academy Award winning actress friend of mine. I loved the look and I realized when I looked at the contact sheets that I'd photographed her with the old Pentax 645 film camera and several of those lenses; including the 75mm f2.8 and the 150mm f3.5. 

The images triggered memories of printing in my darkroom using those 645 negatives shot with those lenses. The images were even better than I remembered. So, one evening when I was ordering some batteries (I'm always ordering batteries!!!) I looked for old used Pentax 645 lenses, just on a lark. There were some really good ones at super/bargain basement prices. I put a bookmark there and thought to circle back. In the meantime I made a visit to Precision Camera to buy a roll of background paper (I just can't justify ordering a long roll of seamless online....) and I came across a used Pentax 150mm f3.5 (manual focus) lens in nice condition for a whopping $129. I bought it. Then I ordered a Kipon Pentax 645 to Fuji GFX adapter. 

I thought I'd rush out to shoot with the combo but other than shooting random stuff around the studio to make sure everything worked okay I didn't follow through. All of a sudden those Leica Ms intruded into the limited bandwidth I have to concentrate on cameras. 

I bought several more Pentax 645 lenses from B&H, including the manual focusing 120mm f4.0 Macro lens and the (AF) 80-160mm zoom lens. I tested both and they exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I used the 120mm extensively on several environmental portrait projects and loved the ease of use and the ability, with the 50Sii, to punch in for a magnified focusing image. 

Remembering those experiences and with time on my hands this afternoon I thought I owed it to the 150mm lens to pull it out, mount it, head downtown and test it. A good test. Many photos. Bright sun. 

I shot almost everything you see here with the lens on the Kipon adapter and the camera set to "A" aperture automation. The f-stop was nearly always set to f5.6. It was a clear day. Visibility, according to NOAA was 40+ miles. The humidity was lowered than it's been in at least a millennium. It was a comfortable 88° which I'm sure sounds crazy to northerners. I loved the performance of the 150mm. It's outrageously good. Stopped down to f5.6 its performance is as good or better than the two authentic Fuji GFX lenses I own. Look through the files and blow them up! See for yourself.

The combination of the bigger sensor and the great optical quality of the lens is magical. Who would want anything more??? I was so happy with the look of the files that I rushed back home, scrolled through the B&H used site again and immediately bought the final lens I needed to complete the system. The 75mm f2.8. I only write this now because I've satisfied my need for the lenses. I waited until I got everything I wanted. 

There are a few captions below but the images are self explanatory.

The secret "over the train tracks" and through the back alley 
pathway to Mañana Coffee. It's the way I get there.



Very much backlit. I was expecting lots of flare. Shockingly, not much showed up.





I saw this ultra bright reflection from mirrored glass and it hurt my eyes to look at it.
What a wonderful test for flare and sunstars! I am amazed that the contrast didn't 
take a hit and that ghosting was minimal. Just amazed. 


this is the lens shot wide open at f3.5. The focus is on the button.

This man was very impatient and kept honking the very anemic horn on his 
scooter to try and get a line of giant SUVs moving....Didn't work well.


The focus is on the longhorn.












I can hardly wait to get my hands on the 75mm f2.8 lens. I have high hopes that it matches the quality of the other Pentax lenses I have amassed. It's the perfect focal length.

 

Comments

Jon Porter said…
I agree, the Pentax 645 is an excellent camera (except for its annoyingly loud auto-winder). The favored lens on mine was the 105mm made for the Pentax 67. Pentax offered an adapter with an auto diaphram that made using the big lenses easy. But it sure made for a heavy camera.
Jon Maxim said…
Your comment on how flare resistant the lens is. This is something that has been bugging me lately that I do not understand about modern lenses. The coating technology to produce flare resistant lenses has been around for a long time. Yet we still, frequently, get very expensive lenses boasting the "latest" technology that have unacceptable levels of flare and veiling flare. I don't get it.

Rant over.
Eric Rose said…
Seems you have discovered the holy grail of lens/camera combination. Stunningly sharp, fantastic colour fidelity and very flare resistant. Like an old prof use to say, that and 25 cents (long time ago) will get you a ride on the bus. Where is the bus going and do you really want to go there?

I see this combo as a prof of concept. Would be awesome for technical photography but is it really necessary for the other 95% of average commercial photographers needs?

Now that you have reach the summit, what is the yogi telling you?

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the images. Just pondering...

Eric
Eric, You presume there is a reason or rationale behind my lens acquisitions. I'm happy to have the lens. It performs well. I will use it to make a certain kind of photo. Maybe. I have a closet full of pants I thought I would really like and now never wear but I also have some that I bought for no reason at all and end up wearing all the time. For the tiny prices I'm paying for the old Pentax lenses you might as well question why I buy coffee everyday. I may use them but I may just appreciate the potential to use them. Or, having convinced myself that they answer an unposted argument about new versus old lens tech I might just sell them and move on. Do I really need a reason or are we all on a slide toward irrelevance and death? The consequences of which amerliorate all concepts of purpose and virtue? At least that's the question the Yogi posed. And he happened be wearing an old, tattered, promotional jacket with a Leica logo on it....
Jon, the obsession with higher levels of correction and the eradication of any CA or LoCA and the "desperate" need for more and more resolution led lens designers to add more and more glass corrective elements and as we know too well every glass element has two air/glass interfaces each of which subtracts contrast and introduce a mild amount of veiling. All of which is cumulative so you correct one mess of stuff only to replace it with a different mess of stuff. There's no free lunch?
Anonymous said…
The images are technically near perfect which brings up a question. Do you think your readers who insisted that the only good lens to use for longer focal lengths on the GFX cameras was the GF 110mm are now grinding their teeth and regretting their choices after seeing that a used lens, available for around $110 is as good or better than their $2700 lens? Will buyer's remorse now haunt them?
Probably not. Perhaps autofocus is worth the extra $2,500....to them.
Eric Rose said…
Haha, yes pursuit of FUN is a key ingredient in a fulfilling life. My yogi told me years ago, don't worry, be happy. I love many of my old lenses, I also really enjoy my Panni 24-105. One of my next experiments will be to find a way to attach my S5xII to a Horseman VH-R. I might be sliding to irrelevance and certainly sliding to death but I'm loving the ride!

Eric
JC said…
That top photo shows some pretty severe spherical aberration on that building on the right. (Smiles to himself, and slinks back into his closet.)
Must be a mis-aligned element since it only shows up on one side. (JC is a very mischievous man....).
Greg Heins said…
So you've gone from thinking you might sell off the big Fuji to stocking a series of lenses for it. I've also been thinking I probably have one too many camera systems and that maybe the Fuji was redundant. But then every time I use it, that thought vanishes.
James Weekes said…
I think that the new M11-D is going fill the shelves with used wonders ay the Leica store. Should be fun.