Fresh "Food" for my little collection of M240 cameras.

After much research and negotiation we found a source of brand new batteries for 
one group of our cameras. Success!

doubly pleased today. First, my UPS package arrived early. After the last few complicated deliveries I was shocked. I felt a shift in the force and wonder if this could be the dawn of a whole new age of delivery timeliness. Second, my order of two SCL-2 Leica batteries arrived in perfect condition. They should be in perfect condition as they are both NEW replacement parts. 

Of all the products Leica makes I think that it is their batteries that count as Veblen goods. Something that creates desire but at an absurd price. Or perhaps the desire created is because of their price. Their cameras are only a few percentage points higher in cost than competitive brand cameras but their batteries, even for cameras long in the tooth, are double or triple the price of more pedestrian batteries made for other cameras. As an extra nod to the marketing powers of exclusivity the batteries are only available if you order them from Leica and are patient enough to wait for delivery. Much like Hermés limiting buyer access to a fast selling handbag, or Ferrari capping production on their most desirable cars. Who knew these pricing models would apply to something as workaday as camera batteries?

At any rate I can now stop going to all three of my weekly therapy sessions with all three of my therapists. The anxiety of not knowing if I would ever be able access batteries for my coveted rangefinders is over. In remission. I am comforted. And, of course, I checked the production date of the two batteries immediately. May of 2024. Given how careful I am with the use and storage of batteries I'm hopeful I'll get ten years of service from this set. A prediction predicated on the fact that I am currently getting good and reliable use out of the same model batteries dated as far back at 2016. Lightyears in the past for camera models and their power sources.

These Lithium Ion batteries are made by Varta in Indochina. An area known for its artistry with battery production. I have a special climate controlled case for just these batteries. Carved out of endangered, old growth mahogany and lined with the softest mink pelts the cases are also shielded from atmospheric radiation by layers of lead sheeting coated in 24K gold. And stamped with the case designer's name: "Banksy." 

I'd show them to you but they are currently in the time-locked safe situated next to old rolls of Kodak's T-Max 3200 about half a mile underground in a salt mine. You can never be too safe with Veblen batteries. In fact, I've heard that thieves no longer want to steal cameras like your M11 --- they are much more interested in the batteries. Cover yours with black tape!!! Well don't cover the metal contacts or....

Enough for today. The batteries are here and I'm charging them. It's so exciting. 

You too can order replacement part batteries from Leica. Just get in touch with a Leica dealer and explain what you want and emphasize to them that this is "a replacement part" not "an accessory."

 Added for Gordon: Here you go:



Comments

Jon Maxim said…
Oh dear, Kirk. I'm afraid that you are in for a disappointment because your batteries will not last 10 years. In fact, I am frankly disappointed with you. Everybody knows that M240 batteries encased in mink will only last, at best, 2.763 years. To get 10 years you MUST use ermine.
Jon, I've ordered the house manager to make the change you have recommended immediately... Thank you!
Gordon R. Brown said…
I have two Varta M240 batteries. Where did Varta hide the numbers for date made?
Hi Gordon, If you are looking at the front of the battery with the contacts up but on the backside then right below the top edge of the front there are some almost invisible #s and letters engraved. Just above the metal panel that says, "CE" and "Leica." The first two numbers are the month of manufacture and the second two numbers are the last two digits of the year of manufacture. You'll need to squint. They are "understated."
Gordon, illustrative image added to post. Less obtuse than my description above...
Gordon R. Brown said…
Thanks Kirk for the answer and picture. I found the date codes. Using the magnifier app on my iPhone gave me a better view. And I discovered the button on the magnifier screen that will freeze the magnified view.
Anonymous said…
You are probably thinking of Damien Hirst and not Banksy as the artist
:-)

Soeren (who really tried not to be anonymous…)
Gosh, Soeren, this happens to me all the time. The guy said he was Banksy but I get fooled a lot. Like yesterday when I drove up to McDonalds and the valet guy offered to park my car for me. I handed over the keys and that's the last I saw of my car. That he was wearing no shoes should have been a tip off....
Terry Letton said…
Your old growth mahogany lined with mink hits a little close to home. My only Leica, a IIIf, lives in a custom padouk and birdseye maple chest lined with fine leather. I’d attach a picture but I don’t see how it can be done here😂
Robert Roaldi said…
A couple or three years ago, I had an Olympus E-M1, and E-M5 mark 2 and my wife had an original E-M5. They all used the same battery. At the moment, for a variety of reasons, we still have the E-M5 mark 2, but now have an E-M1 mark 2 and an E-M5 mark 3. Not only do they use three different batteries but their USB connectors are also different.
Anonymous said…
Kirk, is there a date code on SL-2/3 batteries?
Date on SL-2 batts? Not that I've been able to decipher. Lots of type on the batteries: none that makes sense as a creation date code... Anybody?