New camera time. What?


The Summer is almost over. It's time to refresh our camera bags and our enthusiasm for photography. What better way than to pull a new and different camera into your orbit? A few weeks ago I did a day of environmental portrait shooting and I used three different cameras. I did another half day of portraits just before and used a fourth camera. Why? Just to see what the real differences were in handling, quality of files, image quality and to analyze the fun quotient. The winner? Had to be the Leica SL, a camera I loved so much I ran out and bought two. But in-depth analysis says that there are two things lacking the would make the SL perfect. One is the addition of really, really good image stabilization. The second is really, really, really good high ISO performance. The ability to shoot at 12,000 ISO, or even  higher, without noise rearing up like a bitter dragon and demanding an additional layer of post production magic. Further research led me to believe that the camera I would want would be the Leica SL2-S. 

So when the right opportunity came along to throw away more money I jumped at the chance. The guys at Leica Store Miami had just what I realized I wanted. A pristine, used camera body, complete with a second battery, for a price no one would have passed up. I've bought enough cameras from the guys in Miami that I've come to trust their ratings of used cameras. The ones that make it all the way to my front door are always way better than the way they are described. This one was no exception. 

The SL2-S is basically an SL2 but with a few tweaks and a sensor with about half the resolution of the SL2. And that's one of the features I wanted. Smaller files. 

I did my shopping without human intervention and I forgot for a moment the frustrations I previously encountered with the "free" UPS ground shipping. I should have foregone one layer of automation and clicked on "next day." It would have cost me $100 more but it would have saved me a Thursday of frustration. UPS rescheduled the delivery three times in one day and they almost made good on their promise (third go round) to make it here by 8:15 p.m. I guess 9 p.m. is close enough in their books. 

The packing was the usual perfection. Packed like a Ming vase that might be subjected to a bout with a sledgehammer. Amazing work with cardboard. 

As usual, the inner box contained yet another box which was the original packaging for the SL2-S complete with manuals, and all the accessories. The camera looked as though it had never been touched by human hands. I sat on the couch last night, watched the Democratic Convention on PBS, and went through the ritual of putting on the strap, adding a new 256GB ProGrade SD card, and going through every menu setting to customize the camera to my taste. Goodbye audio alerts. Goodbye touch screen. Goodbye AF illumination. Etc. Etc. I tossed both batteries on the charger and headed to bed. 

When the new day broke and swim practice was over I rejoiced to find out that the weather had changed. Gone was the threat of a 108° day with its attendant 113° heat index. Today the high was predicted to only hit 100° and the humidity moderated as well. Hallelujah! Finally, a day comfortable enough to allow for an afternoon walk in our historic business district to try out the new arrival. 

Amazing finder. Even better overall build than its sister camera, the SL2. Slightly heavier than the SL2. Better I.S. than the SL3! Slightly different color palette than previous Leica digital cameras (SL, SL2, Q2). Still much heavier than the M cameras and the Q cameras. Good power management when using the newer SCL-6 batteries. Mediocre included strap... but usable.

I used the new (to me) camera with a 45mm Sigma i-Series lens and found the combination of the full frame and the near normal focal length comfortable. A 256 GB memory card, used in conjunction with large Jpeg files is nearly impossible to fill up. The "files remaining" indicator tops out at 9999. 

The day was refreshing with cool temperatures in the middle 90s. It was a good walk. It's a very good camera. Can't wait for the next job.


Who would have thought that Tesla was interested in birth control? 
Why else would they make a vehicle that just screams: "Total Loser"?
Don't follow one too closely when you are out driving; the trim tends to fall off
unexpectedly. Just nasty.







New beauty secrets for Texans. Beef Fat on your face also makes you much 
more attractive to bears, cougars, dogs and.......

Men hanging out on a crane. Catching the breezes.





When green is your signage.

Loving the SL2-S. Now considering upgrading my lens collection by a bit. Thinking of gathering together the ever increasing and unintentionally fast growing 50mm lens collection and going all in on the Leica 50mm APO ASPH Summicron SL. Best ever?  

Hope Saturday turns out to be fun for you. I needed some down time after a week of heat induced relaxation and comment moderation. 
 

Comments

Biro said…
Very nice camera and photos, Kirk. Could you do me a favor? Could you compare the general user experience and output with the Panasonic S5? I’ve kind of considered the SL2-S to be an S5 II (which has IBIS and PDAF) with a higher-resolution viewfinder. I had considered the PDAF of the S5 to be a fair trade for the Leica’s better EVF. Perhaps (and quite likely) I have been deluding myself. And do you plan to keep the SLs if the SL2-S works out? Happy shooting!
Dick Barbour said…
Sounds like the perfect camera for you. But that means there's nothing left to want, right? Nice pics, I really like the glass building reflecting, and in the midst of, the clouds.
Chuck Albertson said…
I make it a point to not photograph the (so far rare) people tolling around in their Cybertrucks. Someday they will thank me for that.

Beware buying a first SLAPO lens. It's like trying to eat just one Dorito.
But Chuck....the lure of the dark side (SL APO lenses) is so strong. Resistance is futile.
Dick. We'll see. Track record is not good in this regard...
Biro, I actually like the original S5 a lot. The sensor is great and might be the same BSI sensor as in the SL2-S but with different tweaks. The S5 is much lighter; maybe half the weight which, of course, means it's more comfortable for all day shoots. I'm keeping the S5 because it works so nicely on a copy stand with the Sigma 70mm Art lens as a film "scanning" resource. Love the multi-shot, high res mode!!! The finder isn't nearly as good as the finders on the SL2x cameras but then ---- what is? The S5 series from Panasonic is shockingly good for the price. Or even just without the proviso. If I shot more video I might prefer the new S5II cameras just for their ability to track a moving subject while shooting video. But I did spend a lot of time back in 2020 shooting video with a G9 on a gimbal and the contrast detect AF worked just fine for moving subjects. I'm old school so I find using the single focus point right in the middle in S-AF is a comfortable way to work. In that mode the focus is very quick on the SL cameras (including the original) and accurate. It's certainly as fast as I need it to be. That sentiment also extends back to the SL original which I think will eventually become a collectible classic. The color and general look of the files is just so good. If I never took the leap into Leica I'd still be using the Panasonic S1, S1R and S1H cameras. They were damn good. Hard to find now. But Panasonic actually made the S5 a better bargain while keeping the same levels of performance and now improving the AF on the S5II models. I plan to keep both of the SL cameras. I'm in the process of selling the two Leica CL cameras. Not because they aren't great. They are! But I just have too many choices and I feel guilty knowing the CLs get chosen last and mostly just sit there depreciating when someone else could get a lot of good use from them. One of my equally addicted photographer friends currently has one of the CLs and the little Sigma 18-50mm zoom lens. When he decides in favor of keeping it I'll find a home for the second one. I'm having a happy blast with the SL cameras and the M cameras. So much so that the Fuji GFX's time here is in danger. It's next on the chopping block. Portraits? The SLx cameras are perfect. I paid about $3K for the SL2-S, in box. Mint. I've paid more for lesser cameras.
Anonymous said…
The SL2-S might well be the perfect camera. Ever.
Eric Rose said…
Outstanding reproduction from the new camera! The series of photos was almost perfect....

Eric
Gary said…
Are those really men on the crane? What the hell? Did you really buy another camera?
Gary, Yes and Yes. Wait....you haven't bought a Fall Season camera yet?
Robert Roaldi said…
I get a kick out the new normal that when we buy something online we expect it to arrive within an hour or two of the predicted delivery time. My wife is like that, she freaks if some item is late. When I order stuff, I don't even look at the delivery time. I'm just so grateful that I won't have to drive downtown and go to a store. This doesn't apply to everything though, I prefer buying food in person. Coffee too.
Mark Bridgers said…
Not to tempt anyone, but B&H has the Sl2-S $1000 off, and they throw in an extra battery, screen protector, and the Leica MtoL adapter
Tom Farrell said…
Kirk, you've had a preference for the color/files from the original SL. How does the SL2s match up just in those terms?
Hi Tom, The SL colors tend to be more vibrant and a bit more saturated. The SL2-S is more neutral and the Jpeg files seem a bit richer. Hard to describe "richer" but they seem to hold the same amount of detail but seem smoother. I can't say, really, that one is better than the other but both are snappier/more contrasty than the SL2. All three can be fairly easily color matched from raw files. The SL2-S makes its cleaner high ISO performance abundantly clear at anything over 800.
I already have a trusted buyer for one of the two CL cameras. Seems they are getting hard to find these days...
jw52tx said…
Thank You so Much for introducing the "seasonal concept " of cameras! It will come in So Handy when justifying new camera purchases to my wife! And of course you must accessorize them properly! Lenses, bags, new improved data storage, books to explain how the functions work because there are no longer manuals included, etc!
In all truth though we both look forward to the arrival of new photo toys! Its like an Easter Egg Hunt! Where will the packages be?? Under some bush or tree down our 100 yard driveway? Under the RV? Next to the big sign on the front door saying ALL PACKAGES TO DOOR UNDER PATIO PLEASE!! And those instructions stating the package MUST be signed for? That guarantees it will be left some where along the road that runs in front of our property, with a notation Handed Directly to Occupant!