Just good food.

 


People think too much. Thinking has become a competitive sport. Deeper thoughts? More ego points. Complex beliefs? An attempt at climbing the (non-existent) hierarchy. Convoluted writing? The obscuring of limited value. Sometimes it's fun just to enjoy things. Like food. Companionship. Leisure. 

The tendency to make everything a contest is misguided. Life isn't a zero sum game. I don't have to be stupid for you to be smart. You don't have to be unhappy for me to be happy. The times when I am in the middle of something; Swimming. Taking a portrait. Walking in the park. Eating an egg sandwich on a freshly made biscuit. Those are times when I don't have to think at all. I'm just enjoying the moments. 

Interesting that Summer helps me slow down and really appreciate all the "mundane" day-to-day activities that feel like complete joy. At least that's how it feels to me.

But food? It reminds me of how interdependent we all are. Not just to each other but with everything. Every once in a while I want to slow down and just celebrate life as represented by the food we enjoy. 

(Images from the Marché Jean Talon in Montreal Canada. Leica M240 + iPhone. All fun). 











Comments

  1. Not many things are as important as food. Clean air and water comes close. Why compromise on these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only slightly off topic to this post... I want to thank you for recommending the book Younger Next Year. I'm most of the way through it and am learning a few new things. I've been doing much of what is recommended but not all, so I need to add them to my regimen. I might be a bit of a nerd and really like the scientific explanations of why we should exercise in a specific way. The older author is a little too full of himself for my liking, but I can look past that for the value provided. All those colorful foods in your photos are exactly what they recommend we eat!

    I will turn 60 tomorrow and feel in better shape than when I turned 50 (upped my exercise game from moderate to somewhat more intense about 18 months ago). My mom sent a note this morning asking how my last day in my 50s was going. I told her 60 feels much easier to accept than I remember 50 being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you're aware that food in the great outdoors with friends can be especially memorable. One of my favorite memories is sharing pan fried lake trout minutes after it was caught.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.