The "Gold Standard" is no longer a matted, doubleweight, fiber print. The gold standard is an interesting photograph.


sometimes I feel that I'm being told how to tie a necktie with a perfect windsor knot. Or how to fold a pressed, cotton cloth handkerchief. Or the correct way to brush HushPuppy shoes. How to practice my cursive writing skills. Why fountain pens still are the ultimate writing tool. Why we should follow the Zone System. Declarations that nothing will ever beat Dektol. How to adjust a carburetor. The importance of spit polishing dress shoes. The difference between Oxfords and Brogues. The right way to invest in whole life insurance. Learning how to manually change gears in a car. The vital importance in English literature of understanding the umlaut. The need for tube powered "hi-fi" amplifiers. Why people over sixty can't workout strenuously but must resign themselves to walking slowly. How vital contact sheets are to my process. Why I should admire Lee Friedlander (or fill in the blank with your favorite mid-1960s, black and white landscape photographer...). Why I should pay attention to the ramblings of the old folks of photography over at Lenswork. Appreciating the vital importance of pre-visualization. How and why to use a coffee percolator. How to keep the ink from drying out on your typewriter ribbon. How to type with two fingers. Why Sanka? Which hemorrhoid cream is most effective? How to maintain my lawn mower. And how to eat lunch in a classic American diner. The magic of eating soft foods. And hot cereal. The importance of making lists. Why skipping steps in a time honored process is frowned upon. And so, so, so much more. 

Please, explain escrow to me one more time. And while you are at it be sure to quote some lines from William Blake. Remind me again...what is the Golden Ratio. Can you give me a quick, written tutorial about how to use the Rule of Thirds? And finally, what must I never do with a photograph if I want to win awards at my local camera club?

As older photographers (you can exclude yourself and set your own bar as to what makes one an "older" photographer) we tend to carry a whole lot of baggage around with us when it comes to our craft. And just about anything else. Everything else around us tends to move forward. to evolve. Cars get more efficient and more reliable. Great sounding audio equipment shrinks from room size, costly behemoth equipment farms to earbuds and an iPhone. Medicine cures more stuff better. We can get power from the sun instead of by burning coal or logs. But there is a constant current of thought amongst photographers who lived through the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and onward that gets gelled in, locked in at a certain moment, a certain era of photography. And collectively we grasp that moment for all time with a death grip that defies any surrender to progress. Or social change. Or cultural progression. Or any sort of intellectual vitality. 

If we were to listen to our peers, or if our photographer peers were able to legislate how photography "should" work we'd be locked in our darkrooms, chained to our enlargers, squinting through the red light and putting test strips of paper into microwave ovens to check and see how much our sample will darken as it dries down. We would make 11x14 inch prints with a live area of 6x9 inches. Each print would require archival washing after a stint in selenium toner. And once dried and flattened and spotted we'd rush out to see if it met the standards set by the holy saint of photography, Ansel Adams. Would John Sexton approve?

I'm not buying any of the nostalgia. I'm not getting behind the gold standard. I'm not bowing in reverance to the visual ramblings of Cole Weston or Judy Dater. I'm interested in what stuff looks like now. And I'm much more interested in the popular media for viewing images now. The web. The monitor. The screen. 

I've been to too many galleries that cater to customers my age. It's like art stuck in amber. And it's the same old guys coming in for each opening. Favorite camera over one shoulder, bifocals at the ready. Plastic cup of cheap wine carefully clutched in one hand. Mewing over the "wonderful tonality" of a print with content as boring as a tax audit. While all the good stuff is floating around in the ether. 

I'm still a working photographer but I haven't shown a print or made a print in at least ten years. Not a print that was made as a final product and meant for a wall or a show. Even as far back as 1996 when I did my last show of very large black and white prints from Rome the prints had accents of oil paint overlaid and handwritten notes in the exposed margins. The real draw for that show was a looped presentation of hundreds of color slide images from the "eternal city" shown on a Sony Trinitron 27 inch television set. That's where people ended up. Pulled up chairs. Drank less than cheap wine. Ate cheese but also dates filled with feta and wrapped in smoked bacon. It was an event instead of just a show.

The immediate and overwhelming acceptance of the audience to seeing images at five seconds per on a color TV screen told me everything I needed to know to go forward with the craft. 

Beveled mats are now the polyester leisure suits of art. Endless gray tones are the two dimensional translation of Father Knows Best.

Just a thought after a particularly great swim practice. Surrounded by fast and passionate younger swimmers. We don't even swim like we used to. We swim better.

****Some very, very sensitive readers might misconstrue the time line here. MJ wrote something different but along the same lines of "photography changing" this afternoon. My post was published @12:37 CDT, previous to his, I think. Just sayin'.  Since I didn't see his until later in the day there is no way that this could be construed as a reply or riff on his post. 

 

Comments

  1. Love it! Funny and to the point.

    The only prints I make are for our home walls. Everything else stays online. If not printing means my photographs are "incomplete" (whatever the heck that means), so be it.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on most counts Mr.T, but not entirely. Images are not JUST about content, or JUST about tonality, colour, or JUST about composition. Its about how you combine those ingredients to make something worth looking at, at least more than once.And that's true whether you make a print or look at it on a monitor. Content may be King, but tonality and composition are it's clothes.

    There are over 50k images in my archive but I have only a couple of hundred prints. I belong to a couple of local groups who meet both online and in person a couple of times a month. Online meetings are via Zoom. In person meetings are always prints (why bother if you're just going to sit in the dark and look at shadows on a screen ... you can save the drive, stay home and do that on Zoom). None of us would willingly give up either and the Zoom lets us bring in members from other cities and countries.

    IMHO, there's a solid case to be made for the whole enchilada. The fundamentals of photography as an "Art" have evolved over more than a century into a pretty solid foundation. Probably has something to do with the way humans see. Dumping any part of it leaves you with an incomplete product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, made me think. I'm dragging a lot more years of baggage around than you are, but have only ever had to please myself with my photography. I went through so much agony back in the day, trying to get a lab to produce a half-way decent print for my wall, that I am now reveling in the ability to produce them myself. I understand what you are saying about letting go of the old stuff and staying current, but there is something to be said for still practicing an art that gives you pleasure, and not just because you are an old fart living in the past.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirk, you have a son who is a Z'er. Have you viewed the work of art photographers from his gen? If so, tell us something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In many ways I agree with you. But at the same time I still make prints. On a printer, it's true. Not in a darkroom. But my standards are just as high, maybe higher. It's not the same thing as digital online, but for me the two coexist.

    And I have a print in a gallery show opening tomorrow. It's an open show, so will mostly be painting and mixed media - mine may be the only traditional photograph in the group. I'm sure the wine will be cheap, the light in the place will be dim, and the crowd will be young and loud. But it will be a gathering of people interested in art and supporting local artists.

    I find it worth doing. Plus if the print sells - and mine have in the past - it will pay my next month studio rent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be interesting to see a photo exhibit in a gallery where all of the images were displayed on monitors rather than prints. Do you think it would create a mass rebellion or would the complainers be limited to the over 50 demographic? The photography could be sold as traditional prints or a photo NFT, in limited editions of course.

    I think photography, the art form, is in a holding pattern. Besides documentary work, so much of what I'm seeing has been done before. I'm looking forward to the next big thing... maybe a handheld gizmo that produces a hologram instead of a photograph? Digital monitors that look just like paper prints?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bevelled mats are bad? Since when? Nobody tells me anything. I'm only now getting good at cutting them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure this was just a slip of the fingers (you gotta work on your two-finger technique), but I thought I should correct the record. In English (literature, and in general), them two dots over a letter are a diaeresis, not an umlaut. They serve to show that the two vowels are not a diphthong, but are pronounced as two separate letters (as in the name Zoe--it doesn't rhyme with Joe.}

    And while I agree with you in general, I am also of the group that thinks there is something to be said for a print on the wall. FWIW. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. diaeresis? Naw, we got Kaopectate.

    Sorry, finger slippage. Couldn't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much as I enjoy prints, I've adapted to the transition from prints to slide shows, but now I'm being asked to make the slide shows move. The least objectionable is the "Ken Burns" effect which requires time and professional tools to make the right thing happen. Automatic versions in Lightroom or Apple's Photo are nowhere near as good. And don't get me started on sliding doors in Apple's Photo. Your images will be arbitrarily cropped, rearranged, and thrown up in arbitrary groups on the screen with on the fly cropping and rearranging. Luckily I have a few friends who continue to treasure my prints.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kirk

    loved your article
    but this ain't bad (9"x9" on 14"x11")!!

    kindest
    roger fisher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your first paragraph is a hoot. What I wonder is how long it took you to compose that list and if you did it off the top of your head. I'm impressed with your ability to resurrect all those bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Top of head. Five minutes. And...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.