Texas Legend, Kinky Friedman. R.I.P.

 

Kinky Friedman. ©2010 Kirk Tuck


I just read that Kinky Friedman passed away. He was a legendary Texan. A performer, musician, political candidate and a writer of detective novels. I photographed him years ago for a magazine and we had a wild evening that started with a dinner at a Tex-Mex restaurant (he ordered extra serrano peppers for his enchiladas along with a fried egg on top). Then we headed to my studio for the portrait session. I told him smoking wasn't allowed in our building and he replied that I didn't need to smoke if I didn't want to as he calmly lit up a big cigar. But funny? Hilarious! With a keen edge. I'm sadder knowing he's not around. So happy I got to work with him. He'll be missed.

Comments

LeftCoastKenny said…
Damn! We lost a good one. RIP Kinky.
Craig Yuill said…
I have said multiple times that this portrait of Kinky Friedman is one of my favorites. I’m sorry to read that he had passed away.
Edward Richards said…
The last candidate for governor of Texas with a sense of humor. I am saddened to learn of his death.
Dogman said…
When he was running for governor, I got one of his bumper stickers for the car and a few campaign buttons. All this despite not being from Texas and not being able to vote there. Kinky was one of those people who just made you feel good...about him and about yourself. We're all gonna miss him.
Gary said…
The NYT obituary is worth a read. He was a multifaceted talented man. I have his album (L.P.) "Sold American" on display in our den. No one else has written a song like "The Ballad of Charles Whitman." I still know the words.
neopavlik said…
A channel I watch talked about him for a little bit, since he knew him somewhat personally he might do a longer video about him later too , you'll probably just want o avert your eyes and ears from the LBJ vids ;) https://www.youtube.com/live/PE3sGgx9BxM?si=xBvNTDgnssuBka5M&t=3436
Omer said…
I saw Kinky Friedman when he toured with Bob Dylan in 1976. Kinky opened the show with a song* that had the same melody as "Okie From Muskogee" by Merle Haggard but with a different first verse that nevertheless suggested criticism of hippies. The LSU convention center had 10,000 people in attendance and all were stunned into total silence by that first verse. But when Kinky sang the first line of the second verse the place erupted. A good time, that was.

* "As****e from El Paso"