Spiraling out of control. Observations about the ever changing photography business.


I sat across a small wooden table from an avowed photographic gear fanatic. Someone who has owned three different medium format digital camera systems. Someone who thinks nothing of acquiring a really cool but very limited edition medium format shift lens from Germany just because....it might be cool to have. And this person is not a spend-y amateur with a short attention span and an overwhelmed credit card. Nope, he's a consummate professional who has made and accumulated millions of dollars from practicing his craft and investing the proceeds wisely. So, I was a bit shocked when I asked him which cameras he took with him on a recent, month long vacation to the South of France, and he replied by holding up his current model iPhone. No conventional camera from his burgeoning toolkit. Just his phone. And he was very happy with the results. 

That was one data point that hit me with a certain strength. And on a related tangent...

I watched several videos and read Mike Johnston's short take on the newly introduced Pentax 17 yesterday. As you may or may not know I started collecting half frame film cameras back in 1981. I snapped up a bunch of Olympus Pen FT cameras and lenses, all of which were made in the 1960s and 1970s. They are small system cameras and when you hold them as you would hold a regular camera for a horizontal shot you'll get a vertical frame because the cameras are half frame cameras and that's they way they are configured. The Pen FTs used a rotary shutter made of titanium. Their fastest shutter speed is 1/500th of a second but the fact that they are rotary shutters means that the cameras will sync at all shutter speeds with electronic flash. Pretty cool. Interestingly no one has made a really comparable half frame system since.

And all hoopla to the contrary, they still have not. Let me explain. The Pentax 17, while "cute" and easy to use, is a very crippled camera even by comparison to the ancient Pen FTs. Where the Pen FTs had a full complement of manual exposure and focus settings the Pentax 17 offers only Program mode. Where the Pen FTs offer a full SLR viewing and composing experience, through an optical viewfinder reflex, TTL path, the Pentax offers only a direct optical viewfinder which will be plagued by inaccurate framing at closer distances. It's all about the parallax distortion. A fixed finder with stationary frame lines is only accurate at one distance. Everything else is a compromise. 

But the biggest difference is that even back in the early 1970s the Olympus Pen FT offered users a full range of very good, and sometimes very fast, lenses. Lenses like a 60mm f1.5 and a 40mm f1.4. Lenses that were actually considered to be superb in those days. And are still competitive! The Pentax 17 comes with a compact, 37mm equivalent lens --- permanently attached to the camera. 

But the ultimate issue with the Pentax camera and lens is that there is no focusing mechanism in the camera. No rangefinder. No viewfinder indications for sharp focus. Nope. You get your grandfather's image scale, complete with pictograms, on the lens barrel. You get to choose "mountain" or "group shot" or "single person" etc. which means you'll never be sure of critical sharpness until you develop your film and check it with a loupe.

So far removed from the silky smooth focusing rings on the lenses of the ancient Olympus system. 

What you are left with is basically an updated version of a disposable camera from the 1980s only instead of being "disposable" and made of cardboard and plastic, parts of the new camera are metal and you can reload it over and  over again with 35mm film. But otherwise you are stuck with "guess composing" and "guess focusing" and no exposure control beyond what is provided by the program mode and an EV dial. I guess you'll hear a lot of reviewers make the excuse that if you shoot color negative film you'll have "tons of latitude" which will cover your ass if the camera disagrees with reality, vis-a-vis exposure.

What will you pay for this cute but completely crippled point-and-guess-and-shoot camera? The retail price is right at $500. The surface area of the film frame is small. But I guess that "guessing" is the reason for the purchase. The Pentax 17 is a late stage play for nostalgia and a device for people who want to automatically create distressed photographs. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I think it's basically a cynical ploy by a niche camera maker hoping to hang on to some part of the market that no one else is serving. But you have to ask yourself, if there is a market for a crippled, small frame, non-interchangeable, non-focusing, non-system film camera why haven't bigger players jumped into that market? Perhaps their market research persuaded them to mine other veins. 

I have to say that I think my friend's iPhone 16 Pro will provide a much more satisfying photographic experience than the very limited use parameters of the Pentax 17 will provide. And you have the added benefit of being able to surf the web and EVEN make old style phone calls. 

Don't get me wrong. I love compact film cameras. But the ones I love (and still own) are more like the Canon Canonet QL17iii. A sturdy beast of a camera, with a coincident rangefinder. A rangefinder that compensates for parallax. A camera that provides full manual control, a much faster lens, a full 35mm frame, shutter speed priority automation, automatic guide number flash, and no life or death reliance on an expensive CR2 battery. Pick one up in mint condition for a lot less than the purchase price of the Pentax and have a reputable repair agency CLA (clean, lube and adjust) a Canonet and I can pretty much assure you that you'll have a much more pleasant, holistic experience taking photographs. 

The Pentax 17? Except as jewelry or a novelty item? Hard Pass. Next up? Let's trash the Panasonic S9. What a disaster!

It's like the camera makers have yet to parse TikTok and are just spiraling out of control. We needn't join them in their quest...



 2018. Iceland. Stairway to somewhere. 

Comments

  1. Yes, yes, and yes! I'd read some of the rumor sites and wanted to see what the final version of the Pentax 17 would look like. It's an upscale version of those reusable 35mm cheapo cameras drugstores used to sell in the same section as their film offerings. $500 would have bought 6-8 of those cameras back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you say about the 17 is probably true and it makes little logical sense to buy one. But what does logic have to do with it (with apologies to Tina Turner)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. RR, because there are so many other toys that are more fun or a better value. One foot into the La Brea Tar Pit of film buying and processing and you'll viscerally understand what I mean. If you are going to buy jewelry it might as well be something useful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I noted to Ned Bunnell earlier, the Pentax 17 really has that "family vacation fun" design look, circa 1970's-1980's! It's cute but also looks capable. That aside, however, I agree that it doesn't look like a good bet. One might try pointing it to Fuji's wildly successful Instax line of film cameras as the contemporary pathfinder for "fun" cams. But there's a big difference; Instax offers relatively -instant- imaging (albeit rather costly). The Pentax 17 requires traditional film processing wait times and film costs. Ugh.

    I, too, have an Oly Pen FT packed in a box. I have fond memories of using it with gay abandon one summer years ago. I got a kick of those half frames. But, many years later, naw. Film will remain a glowing ember in my past...like my first serious girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirk, you are applying what is fun to you as the measure of what should be fun to all. You can enumerate all the ways in which logic, usefulness, and value all together to you makes unimpeachable sense but in the end it's only your opinion. No one is going to get hurt by buying the Pentax 17. What's the price of fun? A $10,000 or $500 camera? Who cares, so long as one is having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For $200 you can get an Olympus XA with a 35mm f/2.8 lens, rangefinder focusing, aperture priority AF, modest exposure compensation (-1.5 stops) and a really good lens. And it’s full frame. And much better looking than the new Pentax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The third of your circular stairway images has an intriguing, rather Escheresque, quality. Couldn’t matter less what camera you used to shoot it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I noticed several cheap half frame "reusable cameras" a few months back, got as far as looking at sample images and decided they weren't for me, they were all sub $50, so I assumed this pentax would be as well "the pics look much better than those others" I thought, I suppose this price point has been chosen carefully, it was about 2003 when I bought my last 5 pack of film, decided it was all getting a bit expensive then really, a few years later the labs here were getting rid of some really expensive kit, one I remember the only operator who could use it was retiring, the lab was desperately trying to give it away but couldn't and were thinking of scrapping it all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omer, I don't recall writing that we should stand guard in camera stores and put guns to the heads of people who want to buy a Pentax 17 to dissuade them from their purchases. Or, if they have bought one and are then proceeding to have "fun" with it. I never said the Pentax 17 would hurt people. Or hurt their feelings. Or damage property. If someone likes the camera and the crippled default settings I'd still be happy for them if they find a way to use it for their fun. I think exactly what I wrote was that the camera has many, many limitations, is overly priced for the features it offers and that it would not be particularly fun for me. Your quick dash to hyperbole that you provided made my head spin.

    I wrote the piece as a cautionary expansion of all the details involved in a buying decision; not just the "pretty pony" stuff that bloggers seem to concentrate on. Too much "cotton candy" and not enough dispassionate appraisal. I was also a bit surprised that several comments on a popular blog suggested buying the camera to "encourage" a for profit company to act in a certain way. More corporate charity for the least needy....

    If you do buy one what color are you leaning towards? Will they make a limited edition version with a custom color? If you decide that your fun is totally different from my fun (vis-a-vis cameras) what film are you thinking you'll use in it? And, have you tried to source CR2 batteries lately? Just sayin. T'other.

    Finally, I can pretty much assure you that there are no $10,000 camera purchases on my near horizon. I'm setting my limit to the $7K required for an SL3. Now....that should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, don’t need any more film cameras, thank you very much. The only cautionary note should be that the cost of having a roll with 72 exposures processed will double if scans or prints are included in the processing. Still, give the kids their due, they’re pretty dang smart nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "It looks "capable" of what?"

    Snap-shooting "family fun" in much the same manner as, say, Kodak's Instamatic cameras did during my childhood. Also of withstanding said "fun".

    Unfortunately, I think it will have nearly zero chance against the phone camera today. It's a whole new world of imaging, communications today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully I have not slept through a new Apple IPhone release and maybe you just had a typo?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omer, in most cases the scan cost will stay the same, because they will scan two frames at once. Then you will have to crop if you want. You won't have as much resolution, but that's half frame for you.

    Regarding the 17, I actually ordered one. We will see! I'm looking forward to my first 72 exposures. Most of my family shots are experienced through a 6 x 9 digital frame in my kitchen, and if anything, the film shots I see on it look a little better than my digital ones. No zooming in to 200% allowed on the frame, fortunately. I expect the Pentax 17 photographs to look just fine in the photo books I make as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, You are correct. My bad. I meant Apple iPhone 15 Pro. The 16? Maybe this Fall?

    ReplyDelete
  15. For a decent hands on review with images this is well worth a watch.
    https://youtu.be/QGzvthi-ZwE?si=KTVjew9Y4crD3xpV

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Tom! A comprehensive and even handed review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another interesting video is a B&H discussion with two Pentax employees explaining the target audience and the reasons behind the specific design decisions. Basically it’s aimed at 20 to 30-years olds as an on ramp to the world of film.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/FlLbX_3pqhI?si=fh8y668eBm8toZMv

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really don't understand marketing. People who have degrees in marketing must have thought this made sense, somehow. If Pentax really wanted to do something like this, there are an ocean of very high quality m4/3 lenses out there, and a compact m4/3 Pentax would have been welcomed with open arms in that world -- and the photo quality would have been better. Pentax wouldn't even have had to make lenses for it. Nope. This camera loses to an iPhone. I think. But maybe I think that because I really don't understand marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somewhere at the start of the comments, Mr.Tanaka mentioned cost-per-print as being limiting for Instax cameras. Here in NL at least, the cost per print for Instax Wide ('enprint' sized) is actually pretty much the same as 135 film with a d+p package. Most likely the target price for Instax was set at this level very carefully and specifically!

    I can't help thinking that the Pentax is an over-complication of something that needs to be functionally equivalent to an Olympus Trip. There are good reasons those things sold in the millions for decades -- the perfect family snapshot camera. And the Pen range included half-frame Trip-alikes too. I have had a Pen-EE since the early 1980s, secondhand, though that model is fixed-focus the EE2 and later were adjustable like its bigger brother.

    Quite possibly, the production costs for a new camera were similar regardless of the features and capabilities, so the choices made were marketing-led. Hopefully for Pentax, they were the correct choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.