Sometimes it's fun to photograph buildings and landscapes.


 We retouch portraits almost reflexively. And I guess people who specialize in landscape photography have their own inclinations to try enhancing the files they come home with. This is a late afternoon image of a lighthouse on the Southern coast of Iceland. I readily admit that I used some retouching steps to darken, saturate and enhance the sky. I did some work on it in some measure to create more contrast between a bald sky, the warm details of the building and the crispy brown grass in the foreground. 

Whether or not it works for you is not the point. This is very much my interpretation.

When a photographer shows an image he or she likes it's not always with the intention of receiving a critique or getting a blow-by-blow of what the viewer thinks the artist should have done differently. Sometimes the intention is just a sharing of how something struck the creator of the image, and how the combination of colors, shapes and forms triggers and tickles their own neurons when they see what they decide is the finished piece. 

To the viewers all of other people's photographs are largely shapes and forms, content and color but for the person who made the photograph it can sometimes be a memory trigger that allows the creator to relive the feeling of standing in a strong wind, smelling the vast ocean waiting just behind the lighthouse and down a sheer cliff face. Feeling a muffled touch on the shutter button because of the layer of insulation from warm gloves. Holding a camera to one's face and breathing just so. Breathing differently than usual to keep the little glass eyepiece one looks through from fogging over and momentarily rendering the photographer blinded to the camera's view.

But while the memories are written as a list they exist in a simultaneous collage that mixes of all the feelings, all at once. 

And maybe that's why some photographs "work" and some don't. Some memories are shared and some can't be. 


Comments

  1. Here Here Mr.T. A photograph is a relational triangle between the photographer and the camera, the camera and the subject and the photographer and the subject. That's a tough experience to capture in a way the "works" for everyone ... Ansel Adams' work was and still is extremely popular, but not everyone is an Adams fan. Pick any "famous" photographer and you will find they have detractors. Part of growing up as a photographer is learning where the borders of which opinions you care about and which you don't. I've never had to buy groceries with my photography so those borders and pretty tight. I make images that please ME for ME. There are people who's opinion I respect and a whole lot I couldn't care less about. Oh yes! And I use whatever tools, techniques and adjustments that get me the image I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention ... very nice image. Warm, a sense of solidity, a touch of loneliness and that red roof makes it all sing. Nicely done Sir.��������

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image is pleasing, reminiscent of a Jeffrey Smart painting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.