Palette Cleanser; just a regular, old portrait. Ben, circa 2010.


 I think we've thrashed through the Lee Friedlander controversy enough for now. The discussion went off line and over to my friend's house where I had dinner last night (the whole meal was lovely...). My friend is a photographer from my own era who is collected by a number of museums, has had an art book published by University of Texas Press, has traveled the world shooting for far loftier clients than I have and...sadly...is a huge fan of Lee Friedlander. He insists that it's all about showing off the pervasive banality of existence almost as much as he shares the belief I've read here, that there is humor (and if it is there in the collection of L.F. images I have to say that it's very, very, very dry humor...the "Find Waldo" of humor) wedged into many of the black and white images that we generally see in his many, many monographs. 

My friend and I both love to discuss all things photographic but our spouses just chalk it up to us arguing. Since my friend is pretty smart and knows probably more about photography, the history of photography, collecting photography, and getting well paid for photography than any of the rest of us I guess it's fair to call the two conflicting subjective opinions a draw. He is not a fan, however, of Gary  Crewdson either so at least we have a few appraisals in common. I forgot to ask his take on Alec Soth but I'll be sure to dive into it with him at the next dinner. It'll be my turn host but I'll have to be more reserved and quieter, as the host...

As a reprieve from the self-inflicted 1960s art drama (for myself and everyone else) I decided to put up a favorite photograph of Ben from his youth. 

It was somewhere around 2010. I was reviewing medium format digital cameras for an actual, printed magazine and had just gotten in a box full of Leaf Aptus A7i stuff. Batteries, chargers, a short lens and a Schneider 180mm f2.8 lens that weighed a ton but drew photos like Da Vinci. 

I had some lighting set up from an earlier portrait session with Amy so when I saw Ben getting home from school I grabbed him before he got into the house, dragged him into the studio and got about dozen shots before he made his excuses and went to find an afternoon snack.

The digital back was mounted on a Leaf camera which was basically a reconfigured Rollei project (HY6). Its image area was 48x35mm (as compared to the Fuji GFX which is 32.9 by 43.9). The Leaf back shot in 16 bit, and the files were 33 megapixels, so it stands to reason that the pixel geometry/ptich was huge compared to today's sensors. The back had its issues. It sucked down batteries like candy. It was sloooooow to start up. But it was a really nice sensor and very usable up to and past 800 ISO. 

The wonderful thing about Studio Photography magazine and their relationship with camera makers at the time was that we'd get cameras we requested quickly and we also had weeks and weeks to evaluate them before we needed to write the articles. I would have kept the whole package which consisted of the camera, the back, two really nice lenses, three batteries and a charger but I would have had to write a check for something north of forty thousand dollars (2010 dollars!!!!!!!) and that would have put a dent in my wallet that I may never have recovered from. 

The image here is rather small. That's the nature of blogging. But the 20 x24 inch print is absolutely, fucking amazing, even by today's standards. The folks that make medium format cameras already had mountains of stuff figured out....even back then. 

In all I reviewed four medium format digital systems over the course of two years. Those were fun times. I also reviewed a bunch of Leica stuff and still laugh about the time someone at Leica just randomly sent me a new M9 and five lenses to play with and forgot to tell me they were sending the gear. I only found out when I saw a delivered box sitting just in front of our front door. No signature required. I gulped a bit when I added up the gear total. It would have been enough to buy a new car with. Not a spectacular car but a good, reliable automobile. 

I'd like to do some more gear reviews but I'm currently only really interested in Leica gear so I guess that's a pretty tiny and infrequent niche. But you never know. 

on a different note: 

I had lunch with a photographer friend this past Friday at my favorite burger place in Austin, Hopdoddy's. We had lunch together here about a month ago as well. Back then my friend surprised me by pulling a Leica SL out of his bag. It was absolutely mint. Turns out he'd been reading my stuff about Leicas and he made the mistake, at an even earlier lunch, of handling my SL for ten or fifteen minutes not realizing that Leica lust is contagious and can even be transferred by touch. At Friday's lunch, this week, we both brought different cameras to show off. I brought along the Leica M 240 ME coupled with the Voigtlander 50 APO, as well as a CL with the little Sigma zoom --- mostly because my lunch companion let me know earlier that he'd like to see one in person. 

He brought along two other new (to him) Leica cameras as well but I can't really say what they were because he writes a blog and wants to do his own reveals. Hint: eccentric but oh so cool.

We met at noon and we didn't get up from the table until 2:45. Too much Leica lore to share. Too many stories about being out shooting to share. So much fun. The burgers were great too. Full disclosure, when I say, "burger" I'm being generally accurate since the restaurant is a burger place. But I have them make me a kale Caesar salad with a hamburger patty on top. A grilled, grass-fed, perfectly done patty. A great way to cross over the vegetarian/carnivore divide.

My friend is a camera and photography fanatic who once thought there was no difference in camera files, across brands, that couldn't be matched in post...until he got his hands on the SL. Now? No turning back. Save yourselves if it's not too late. Never shoot a Leica unless you are willing to bite the bullet and buy one. You will ultimately be corrupted. Something about the colors and tonality. And the industrial design.  Addictive. Or pure brainwashing at a high degree of proficiency. 

this week, on the used market, good quality original SLs have vanished. There are dozens of SL2s but the SL which my friend and I both consider the "gold standard" of the SL family ----are gone.


Comments

  1. If you are through with Friedlander, then I'm too late. Like another commenter on the previous post, I wanted to offer something less flippant than what I said earlier. Not too long ago I saw an exhibit at the Fraenkel Gallery in San Francisco called "Lee Friedlander Framed by Joel Coen." The film maker Coen curated a selection of Friedlander images showing that Friedlander used ingenious and offbeat framing methods. Really good work, with little of the banality that your friend likes. Fraenkel Gallery published a book of the exhibit that is well worth looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably haven't seen enough of Alec Soth's work to say anything of any meaning... but what little I have seen, I have uniformly loved. And/or been fascinated by. But on to more important things... like, reading your posts on an ongoing basis, Kirk, I have an increasing desire to visit Austin (a long way from Oregon, as the crow flies), and try out some of your favorite coffee shops or eateries. Hopdoddy sounds like it needs to go on my short list. I have visited San Antonio, right in the heart of what some hoops fans are calling Wembylandia, and La Panaderia is near the top of my anywhere-at-all great breakfast-slash-brunch places. There's always a line... and it's always worth waiting.

    Finally, I have to wallow in my ignorance. The only Leica I ever used on a semi-regular basis didn't have files, per se, but negatives - an ancient IIIc that belonged to my Bolivian father which he kindly let me use in my formative years. Lately, though, I've become an irrational fan of Fuji files, both those from my X-T5 and from my former X-Pro3. They come closer to rendering light and shadow in ways I'll never understand, than most other cameras.

    I'll also echo what Gary already said, about the book of Friedlander images curated by Joel Coen. It's one of the cooler things I've not just looked at - but also read through - in some time, and I keep circling back to it. It made me think about some image-related things in ways I haven't ever done, which alone was worth the price of admission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you realize that before the invention of the camera and permanent image we do not know what anyone actually looked like?
    Painters did portraits but we don't know how they changed the rendering to satisfy vanity and payment.
    Only since we have had the ability to fix the image so it lasts have we actually recorded how folks look.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.