Do you think the copywriter who crafted the words for this sign understood what they were saying? I'm not sure I want food or drinks which "Quench my Soul." Do you?

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary....


 transitive verb

1
b
to put out the light or fire of
quench glowing coals with water
c
to cool (something, such as heated metal) suddenly by immersion (as in oil or water)
d
to cause to lose heat or warmth
you have quenched the warmth of France toward youAlfred Tennyson
2
a
to bring (something immaterial) to an end typically by satisfying, damping, cooling, or decreasing
a rational understanding of the laws of nature can quench impossible desiresLucius Garvin
the praise that quenches all desire to read the bookT. S. Eliot
b
to terminate by or as if by destroying ELIMINATE
the Commonwealth party quenched a whole generation of play-actingMargery Bailey
quench a rebellion
c
to relieve or satisfy with liquid
quenched his thirst at a wayside spring


Since all the stuff on the sign is beverages maybe they just meant "quench your thirst." 

Comments

  1. Well, I think they were using "quench" in the sense of "satisfy" rather than "extinguish". At least I hope so.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could help if you're on fire like Bruce Springsteen. https://genius.com/Bruce-springsteen-im-on-fire-lyrics

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.