A celebration of the ultra-mundane. Codified collages of meaningless-ness. A brave expression of lack of expression. Another breakthrough day of breaking through into tedium.


I always seem to have a great time when I go out for a walk. I actually enjoy my own company. But I bring a camera along in case I see something so droll and boring that a photograph of it will elevate my work into the higher plane of fine art. For example, in the image just above I am seeing the path forward as a reflection of the industrial electrical pole that it connects with near the top of the frame. I'm toying with the idea that a fence serves to restrict access while the nature of grass is to find a way through the fence/barrier to continue celebrating its own existence. While the flowers signify hope and transformation. But wait! What makes my walks so much fun for me is the absence of any reason or manifesto. It's just the immediate embrace of what is in front of me. Maybe what I really meant was that the path is dividing two warring factions of plant life like the neutral zone on Cyprus. Oh hell. I just thought the path looked cool because I remember when it all died out in last Summer's drought...

Any takers? At least it's not till November so we all have time to get into shape...
I think I'll just stick to the swimming pool. 

Channelling my inner "Minor White" I call this one "Ethereal Balance." 

And this one is: "Luminous Stairway." 

So, I walked by this car parked in front of the main library. When I approached it from the back it looked like every square centimeter of the interior was filled with junk, trash, clothes, etc. As I walked around the car I saw that it was almost completely stuffed with all manner of junk. There was a bare amount of space for a driver. A driver with absolutely no visibility to the right side or the back of the car. A while later I saw this car make a right turn onto Congress Ave. and in the process almost run over three men who were oblivious to the "Don't Walk" sign and oblivious to the approaching and mostly blinded car and driver.
There were inches between catastrophe and not. And, of course, the jaywalkers shouted out, "Asshole" as the car careened on into the bright afternoon. Weird. Hoarding in one's car... And aggrieved cross walk felons...


Just Gursky-ing around downtown. Slaking my fascination with freshly painted white walls and parking lots. A sense of order where none is really necessary.





and sometimes I just like the colors. 






Getting acclimated to the heat and humidity one step at a time. My loyal companion, the Leica SL, over one shoulder. A 35mm lens soaking up the day. 

It's going to get hot on the east coast this week. Crank up those air conditioners and make sure you've got a lot of ice in the freezer...just in case. Heat kills more people than cold weather, lightning and hurricanes combined. Especially older people. Be a Boy Scout (gender neutral intention) and "Be Prepared." 

 

Comments

Roland Tanglao said…
love the colours as always doesn't really matter which camera the colours are consistently great across your photos! #10 is my favourite. That's the kind of photo I would take but of course i'd (foolishly) tilt the camera diagonally.
Bill Bresler said…
So. When did you get your MFA?
SW Rick said…
Giving that NY Times "25 Most Influential Photographs of the Last Million Years" a real run for the money! MOMA will be calling few sure.
Hi Bill, Honorary MFA from the Institute for Data Free Research. So. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks SW Rick, I look forward to the greater mystification of art. You know what they always say at Yale... "If it's printed on paper it much be good."
Eric Rose said…
Alas, your title perfectly describes my feeble attempts at photography.

Eric
Yoram Nevo said…
Did you notice that the cropped version of the first image, on the blog home page, looks much better than the original full image ?
The AI photo editor is not bad at all.
Or was it you, Kirk, who edited it ?
Anonymous said…
A clear metaphor for the utter hopelessness and inevitability of the end, yet with the suggestion of hope and the triumph of the human spirit as it reaches ever higher and beyond the feeble angst of the unenlightened masses of oppressed industrial brutality. The artist is valiantly striving to reach beyond the mundane, into the meaningfullness of what yet needs to be said.
Yoram, I think the crop makes the image too interesting. It subsequently lacks the ambiguous, unfocused intention of the full frame version. But it does draw attention to the microscopically subtle humor implicit in the work. Kind of like a collage referencing Rothko and Brueghel. Almost Dionysian in its exploration of grass lands and power generation.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I need to make my compositions less....compositioal
Bill Bresler said…
Kirk, I got mine from the Infamous School of Grizzled Old Newspaper Photographers. Now closed, of course.
Craig Yuill said…
Gee, Kirk - his post of yours is a real revelation. If I am understanding it correctly, one doesn’t need to improve composition, camera settings, post processing, etc. to get better photographs. One just needs to improve the titles/captions. Perhaps AI features like sharpen and’s content removal and replace in Adobe, DxO, Topaz, etc. products are not so important. Using ChatGPT to help craft titles/captions is where the real power of AI rests. Wow!
Robert Roaldi said…
Jaywalking is a construct. It was invented by the automobile hegemony. Walking is a right, driving is a privilege. Cars only win by brute force.