One reason I think that people get tired of blogging.

Ah, the good old days of 4x5 sheet film and large format, black and white Polaroids.
Not a mannequin. Not an office building. Not a sign.
An old test shot for a real, live commercial job.

Rodenstock is not the subject's name. It's the name of the lens company whose lens I used.
Added this for the slower thinkers.

I was enjoying some very light hearted comments from my friend Michael Johnston re: the cessation of the VSL blog when I scrolled down and read, probably for the thousandth time, that all I post are thousands and thousands of photographs of signage, office buildings and mannequins. Discounting of course the actual thousands and thousands of event photos, portraits and even landscapes that I'd shared on the VSL blog. Oh, and the weary idea that I change camera systems all the time.

It was a dick-worthy comment and it pissed me off. Especially as it occurred just after I posted a tranche of many, many different portraits here. I went back and counted the image files attached to the old VSL blog and found that I had posted over 20,000 images over the course of 14 years and fewer than 5% fit into the categories of buildings, mannequins or signage. I also looked back at my camera acquisition habits in the last three years only to find that my allegiance to Leica products as my primary cameras was unassailable. I did help out a friend by buying a medium format camera he was desperate to sell but that camera has been fractionally visible in the blog posts. 

In a way I am glad that the commenter tossed off his gratuitous and snide comment because it helps me explain why I felt the need to shut off the VSL blog. It's mostly because the blog had its own momentum and what I would call its own truncated and compressed sense of history. I could buy a camera in 2010 and extensively review it, use it and subsequently sell it but all many readers ever remember is that I bought it in the first place. They seemed oblivious to the idea that anything ever happened after the initial acquisition. I guess in the minds of some of the slower readers every camera I've ever bought, over a 50 year history of making photographs, is currently resident and spread out through my office -- just hanging out, taking up space and time and, of course, all my financial resources. As though once they landed in my studio the cameras became permanent house guests and made themselves right at home. 

In fact, I don't think I have ever owned, concurrently, more than 10 cameras at a time and some of those would include little novelty point and shoots and some nostalgia models like my first real camera, a Canonet QL17iii. Getting rid of that one would be like pawning your wedding ring for beer money. 

It gets wearisome.

Blogger is interesting. Authors have no power to deny access to selected people. You can either share with the world or take the enterprise private and approve one member at a time. That's too much work. But still, I wish I could just block people who make the process less fun.

Comments

  1. When this guy shows up in the comments, don't engage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why my blog is hosted on WordPress, and has been since late 2013. I can block commenters and drop people who supposedly sign up for my posts so they get an email for every post I publish.

    I also have comments set to be open for only seven days after posting. That has pretty much killed the comment spam.

    And good on you for trying out all the brands you could. I enjoyed reading the honest critical comments, as well as reading and seeing how you actually used that equipment for real pro work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wise to to rid of your cameras. You know me, I've kept almost everything with my collection now numbering an embarrassing seventy cameras plus loads of lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the building and mannequin photos. Why? Well, because I'd walk past them. I realised long ago that, whilst I enjoy photography, I don't really have an eye for it. It made me realise that there are great photos to be had wherever I go, if only I could look up long enough to see them.

    As for cameras I have to admit to being a hoarder. I must more than 40, but even I have realised that I'm never going to use some of them again and it's time to get rid of them. Ten seems like a nice number, even if I'll probably never get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snide comments are just life on the internet. Gotta learn to ignore them, they aren't worth getting pissed off about. When I see your pictures of buildings, I find things to think about. Like, I have an oil painting that I bought years ago in California, of a street scene, but there was always something off about it, though I like it a lot. Looking at your building photos led me to realize that at least part of the painting had been done from a photograph, and that some of what should have been vertical wasn't quite, because of lens effects. And I've said several times on your blog that I think the street shots of Austin could be quite valuable to historical researchers in the future, if you'd take steps to preserve them. And I like looking at your mannequin shots...don't know why, but they amuse me. As you know, I write novels, and the comments on them (which I try to avoid) can be brutal and often unnecessarily so. My reaction is often, "Oh yeah? You try writing a thriller, dickwad." Keeping 100,000 words alive in your head isn't all that easy, but the little snide @55holes never know that. Same is true of actual professional photography as opposed to the iPhone heroes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a mostly silent reader, I am ok with what ever you want to write. Sometimes it resonates and sometimes it does not. But, if it wasn't there, there would be no chance of it resonating!
    The camera gear related observations are useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Destructive criticism is as sad on the internet as it is in real life - perhaps even sadder, since one usually doesn’t have the possibility of eye-to-eye. In this case it feels like it has ultimately led you a freer, lighter form of blogging. And you don’t sound displeased about the result. Thanks for continuing to share so freely, and inspiringly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve always enjoyed your blog and the insights you have into photography and cameras. I’ve even started taking my own mannequin photos, and quite enjoy it. Trying to give the photos a twist is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The problem with internet posting is that you may feel you are shouting into a void and / or pissing into the wind.

    It's a conundrum. If you have thousands, or millions, of followers YOU may end up serving THEM. If you have no followers, you are pissing into the wind - But that might feel good.

    You have to do what you want to do and let the chips fall where they may. Especially if you are nearing the end of your 'timeline'. The best will keep at it to the end, because why not?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.