It's been unseasonably pleasant in Austin for the last week. One or two more days of moderate temperatures before we go back to nature's regular programming.


 Model in the Pedernales River in Pedernales State Park, just this side of Johnson City, Texas. Photographed on film with a Leica R5 camera and the Leica 180mm f4.0 Elmar, R series lens. 

This is copied from a print.

It's been one of the nicest weekends in the middle of Summer that I can think of. We've had benevolent cloud cover, occasion but short mists of rain, and days on which the temperatures haven't even hit 90°. Pretty much idyllic. 

I took advantage of the calm before the inevitable heat waves to do a long walk around our downtown lake, Lady Bird Lake, this morning. I took along a rangefinder camera --- just in case Martians landed and intersected with a nude super model convention just as a comet strikes!!! --- didn't really need the camera. Nothing really happened. The camera just existed over one shoulder as expensive semi-masculine jewelry. But that's okay too. I needed to spruce up my outfit.

Speaking of jewelry...

Yesterday, after the ribbing I got from MJ (Michael Johnston) about cars, and the idea that my once satisfying but now pedestrian Subaru Legacy Sport was not up to snuff as a "retirement" car, I headed out to rectify the situation. I had only one destination in mind; the Austin Aston Martin dealership. Of course we have an Aston Martin dealership! Your town doesn't???

I think I've settled on a rather mellow 2024 DB12 Volante because the V-8 model gets better gas mileage than the V-12 motor in the Vanquish. This is the one I'm looking at:

https://www.astonmartinaustin.com/new/Aston+Martin/2024-Aston+Martin-DB12-cea59ed2ac18557af959ca252a7f66ad.htm?store=AMAPrimary&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAApKTUh_ZQ2oHK-e1n4B1pLakbYBdg&gclid=CjwKCAjw7s20BhBFEiwABVIMrby_jPlZwhtJISuyceFt5wDaQMPSwMg4jC3C3boO53KpU97BF_qkaBoC5mMQAvD_BwE

I'll need a letter of credit from my banker before they'll let me test drive it but what I really need is a zoom call with MJ to discuss and get some good guidance from because the $329K car does seem to have one fatal flaw. It comes only with an eight speed automatic transmission and Mike was pretty adamant about any future car I might be interested in needing to have a "stick shift" (I think they are now called, "paddle shifters."). I'd hate to drop that kind of money for a car only to find it is obviously underspecc'd, and just plain ole Veblen. The good natured ribbing would be torturous.

While the twin turbo V-8 motor in the Volante generates 670 horsepower, and I'm sure is capable of generating far more driving excitement than the meager 260 hp of my current single turbo-charged, four cylinder car, I am having a moment of hesitation. I found out that the Aston Martin is only a rear wheel drive car and I pretty much had my mind made up that I needed an all wheel drive car for commuting in ice and snow and for driving down unpaved ranch roads in central Texas. AWD is also better for stump pulling and hay trailer hauling.

I need to ask him if the lack of AWD, and the more grievous lack of a "stick shift", are what we in the photo world would call "deal killers." Or if the English car gets enough points for speed and performance to mitigate these other disappointments. They certainly seem to get preferred treatment from valet parking attendants...

I also need to let reader, JC, know about the existence of these cars so he can move on from the more "middle of the road" Porsche automobiles he's currently stuck with.... Lots of work to do here on the car front before I get it all sorted out. It's much more complex than it seems. 

Fun fact: Premium gas required. 12.8 combined MPG. 20 gallon tank. Less range than a Tesla?


Or I could just settle for ten (10X) Mazda Miatas... for the same price. Not sure I'd want those since the sound system in them is woefully underwhelming... but I guess everyone has their own tolerance for things like that...

Cameras are so much easier. Just buy the latest and most expensive Sony camera and most people will assume you got it right.

Comments

  1. Yes, it has been nice around central Texas lately, unlike most of the rest of the country. However, it has still been hot enough, apparently, to fry your brain. Heh heh.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have your heart set on an Auston Martin, you can get a Valour with a six-speed manual gearbox. The Valour is powered by a twin-turbo, 5.2-liter V-12 making 705 HP.

    BTW, paddle shifters are located on the steering wheel and don't require a clutch pedal like a regular stick shift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I would go for the Bentley. Great sound system and AWD to boot. Tons of HP and torque to keep you happy. Plus it's black which instantly gives you cred over the suburban types who go with white. Very gangsta!

    Eric

    https://www.astonmartinaustin.com/certified/Bentley/2023-Bentley-Bentayga-ae78cfc3ac181726bfe7af03c6c6fef8.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everyone knows that the last half of this post was written as a jest, a light-hearted riposte, a silly toss off. It in no way is a non-fiction plan of action regarding cars. I am superbly happy with my current choice and was happy to read MJ's fun post in the way it was intended. This commented was added for the "slow" readers. A contingent of which I seem to have...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a rueful comment about your reference to my interest in Porsches. A year ago last March, I took my Cayenne PHEV in for a routine oil change. They found that the transmission was leaking. A lot of stuff happened in between, but I got the car back seven months later, in...October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I was joking too. Personally I drive a 2.0 ltr KIA Soul and love it.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirk, the Aston is not a RETIREMENT car, but a MID-LIFE CRISIS car. A MLC car is intended to attract young women with a show of wealth and power, the retirement car is meant to be dorky fun just for you despite being completely impractical and injudicious.

    There is some overlap, I will admit.

    Also, you do not need ten Miatas--you need only TWO, one to keep for yourself and one to give to your friend in Upstate New York to keep for you! :-)

    I am still in the golden period with my old Acura: paid for and not yet breaking down all the time.

    Soldier on,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez. It's like threading a needle. But, "Roger That." Back to the drawing board. Thanks Mike.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If your comment sucks I won't post it. If it doesn't make sense I won't post it. If I disagree with your premise you've still got a shot...so go for it.
If you want to be a smart ass and argue with me don't bother. If you have something smart to say then WELCOME. If you tell me I must be nice and well mannered toward stupid content on other people's blogs please don't bother. I'm self censoring. But in a good and happy way. Your shaming probably just sucks... Have a nice day.